Centrally Sponsored Scheme ‘Intensive Dairy Development Programme (IDDP)
A brief note indicating status as on 31/03/2013
The Scheme ‘Integrated Dairy Development Project (IDDP) in Non-Operation Flood, Hilly and Backward Areas’ was launched in 1993-94 on 100% grant-in-aid basis. The main objective of the scheme is as under:
- Developing milch cattle,
- Increasing milk production by providing technical input services,
- Creating infrastructure to improve procurement, processing and marketing of milk in a cost effective manner,
- Ensuring remunerative prices to the milk producers, by strengthening dairy cooperative societies at village level,
- Generate additional employment opportunities,
- Improving social, nutritional and economic status of residents of comparatively disadvantaged areas.
The scheme was modified during March 2005. The modified scheme has been named as ‘Intensive Dairy Development Programme’ (IDDP) and is being implemented in hilly and backward areas and also in the districts, which received less than Rs.50.00 lakh for dairy development activities during Operation Flood, programme. The funds are now released directly to the implementing agency i.e State Dairy Federation / District Milk Union. The Scheme is being continued during the 11th plan with a total plan outlay of Rs.275.00 Crore as merged scheme together with ‘CMP’.
Since inception of the IDDP scheme, 114 projects have been approved. Out of 114 projects, 60 are under implementation and 54 projects have been completed. 261 districts are covered in 27 States and a UT with total outlay of Rs 702.68 crore till 31.03.2013. A total sum of Rs.535.47 crore has been released to the concerned state governments and milk unions/milk federations for implementation of projects upto 31.03.2013.
Physical achievement as on 31.12.2012: These projects have benefited about 24.17 lakh farmers in 32095 villages in various states by procuring over 30.14 lakh litres of milk per day and milk marketing is about 23.34 lakh litres per day. Milk chilling capacity 25.07 lakh litres per day has been created and processing capacity 33.21 lakh litres per day has also been created under this scheme. There is no discrimination of gender and class under the scheme. None of the projects are approved in 2 States namely Delhi & Punjab under IDDP scheme.
Plan allocation and Expenditure incurred under the scheme during VIII, IX, X & XI plan period is as below:
Rs, in crore
Rs, in crore
|Plan||Plan Allocation||Actual Expenditure|
Year-wise outlay and expenditure under the scheme for the last 6 years and the current year(2012-13) are given
Rs, in crore
Financial position & Physical Achievement under IDDP Scheme: As on 31/03/2013
|No. of project approved||114|
|Districts covered||261 & 1 UTs|
|Total approved outlay of the projects||Rs 702.68 crore|
|Total released of funds||Rs 535.47 crore|
|DCS ORGANISED (nos)||32095|
|DCS FUNCTIONAL (nos)||25624|
|FARMER MEMBERS (in lakh)||24.17|
|MILK PROCUREMENT (LKgs.PD)||30.14|
|MILK MARKETING (LLPD)||23.34|
|CHILLING CAPACITY (LLPD)||25.07|
|PROCESSING CAPACITY (LLPD)||33.21|
Physical Targets and Achievements (Cumulative)
There is no discrimination of gender and class under the scheme.
Procedure for Applying:
District wise project to be prepared based on a benchmark survey and as per guidelines laid down under IDDP Scheme and to be submitted through the concerned State Government. A project may include one to five districts depending upon the capability of implementing agency to implement in a period of three to five years.
How to prepare a project
- The new project proposal would comprise of following: -
- Background for dairy development in the State as a whole, the project districts giving details of prevailing milk procurement, processing, and distribution, marketing system justifying the need for a new project..
- Profile of the implementing agency.
- Benchmark survey report providing an executive summary, basis of selection of district/Block/village etc, methodology and outcome of the survey. The outcome of the survey report should invariably be used for setting up of project targets.
- Text of the project proposal explaining requirement of each and every components/items supported with figures and justification. The text would also cover a brief breeding plan during project period.
- Annexures: There are thirteen annexures to be filled up for preparing new project proposals. Among these, annexure-I to VI requires primary data of the project area & the State, which are to be validated by the consultant agency conducting benchmark survey. Annexures–VII to XIII requires information on project activities, project operation cost estimates etc. There are to be prepared based on the outcome of the benchmark survey and data available with the Milk Union/Federation/State Government.
- A map of project districts locating the project area, milk routes, existing & proposed Animal Husbandry & Dairy Infrastructure including dairy & chilling plants, BMCs, DCS (with dots) etc to give a fair idea about the project.
- A statement showing break-even analysis for plant operations (present & end of the project) with proper explanations to prove viability of the project.
- For consideration of repeat proposal, completion report of earlier sanctioned project should be submitted to this Department.
Two copies of the new project proposal may be sent to this department and/or an officer conversant with the subject may be sent to this department for discussion.